9/28/2008

Final West Fest

Yesterday, I headed up to the West River for the final fall release and West Fest. The Army Corps of Engineers has cut the fall release for 2009, rescheduled the spring 2009 release to a time before Jamaica State Park is open. This cancellation and rescheduling follow a decades-long paddling of reduced releases. There were once two full weekends of releases in both the spring and fall. To help out with the release situation, go here, join American Whitewater here or donate to AW here if you're already a member.

I have had the West Fest circled on my calendar since, well, the first time I ran the West, so 2008 was no different. Since this year's fall release was the last one and because the fall release has always been the best one thanks to the shuttle/not-carrying-over-the-dam thing, there were no mitigating circumstances short of a death in the family or a debilitating injury that would keep me away from Jamaica, VT. I also wanted to demo some creek boats as Glenn recommended two weeks ago at the Quaboag. Lastly, I wanted to boof the Boof Rock for the first time and a catch a wave in the Dumplings that I'd never caught.

Glenn and I met at 8:30 at the put in. We headed up for the first run and met up with Tony Karis, who I've been on many AMC trips with; and who Glenn took a Zoar course with when they were both starting out. I took my usual LL CR 125 for the first run. I had an unexpected 4 combat rolls, all on the first attempt. At the Boof Rock, I rolled off the pillow towards river left. Hence, there was no boof to be had. I eddied out behind the rock and just went on down.

Between the first and second runs, Glenn looked for people in hope of running Ball Mountain Brook, but he later determined that no one was running it because he saw the people who would have been going down while we were shuttling up.

I demoed a LL Jefe Chico creek boat. I did not like this boat at all. It is built to roll off waves and did that quite well. Unfortunately, this feature makes it impossible for me to imagine staying on a critical line while creaking, since it wants to bounce/roll where ever it wants. The one plus was that it punched holes very well. This positive feature turned negative when I went into a hole I never would have gone near in my CR on purpose to test the Remix's resurfacing ability. Suffice to say that I now know that a helmet that covers the ears is a necessity.

After a lunch break during which Glenn and I lost track of each other, I got back on the shuttle with the CR. Ed Vassar was on it as well and I decided to run it with him and a friend of his. I nailed the Boof Rock this time, aiming right to avoid rolling off the pillow as on the first run. Pretty soon, I ran into Glenn at the eddy with the squirrelly lines on river right and parted with Ed and friend.

We rushed down to the takeout, having reconvened at 3:30, so that we could make the final shuttle at 4 with enough time for Glenn to unload his creek boat because it "needed to get wet", and for me to get another demo creeker. This time the demo boat was a LL Remix 57.

Glenn and I were the only ones on the final shuttle, save for an open boater who was riding it to hike back up to his car at the top of the dam. The shuttle guys called us hard core, prompting Glenn to quip that we weren't hard core until we made our next run hiking boats down the dam.

The Remix was much better in terms of staying on a line and I felt that I could move it around well, allaying my concern about having a creek boat that will only go straight. Glenn said that if I liked the Remix, I might like the Bliss Stick Mini Mystic even better. Their offerings are also considerably cheaper than LL's.

What I will miss most about the West is the fact that I always run into people there who I've run rivers with before. Perhaps the Deerfield River Fest will fill this role, but it is not the same. Plus, it's better to see or have a chance to run into old companions twice a year than once a year.

No comments: